Chris is passionate about helping people stay fit, active and injury free. He is skilled in treating a wide range of sports and musculoskeletal injuries / pain. Chris has particular expertise and experience in the management and rehabilitation of sport related injuries, having worked in professional football and rugby.
Chris is qualified in diagnostic ultrasound and interventions, such as injections and shockwave therapy, and is delighted to offer this to his patients. He believes in holistic patient care and through his wealth of contacts within the region is perfectly placed to provide this.
Chris graduated from University of Aberdeen in 2010 and completed his postgraduate training in Northern Ireland in 2014, and higher specialist training in Sport and Exercise Medicine in the West Midlands in 2018, being awarded the Macleod medal for excellence in his specialty exams. He is proud to have trained in Centres of Excellence such as the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the Royal Orthopaedic Hospitals’ in Birmingham, and won a bursary to complete a fellowship at the world renowned Sports Surgery Clinic Dublin.
Chris is a Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine in NHS, working at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital & Horton General Hospital with the OxSport and complex Musculoskeletal teams.
He currently works as a Doctor for Aston Villa Football Club, with both the academy and first teams.
He was the Chief Medical Officer of British Universities and Colleges Sport and has a wealth of elite sport experience at major European and World competitions including:
- Cricket World Cup, England 2019
- European Championships, Glasgow 2018
- ICC Champions Trophy (Cricket), England 2017
- World University Games, Chinese Taipei 2017 with Team GBR
- European Aquatics Championships, London 2016.
Chris has an interest in exercise medicine and champions the broad range of health benefits associated with physical activity. He is the lead Consultant for the Active Hospitals pilot, developed the Active Hospitals toolkit and is a contributor to the Moving Medicine and Motivate 2 Move websites; award winning national initiatives.
In his spare time, Chris enjoys running and swimming, and spending time with his wife and young son.
- Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Oxford University Hospitals Foundation Trust (OxSport and Complex Musculoskeletal Medicine Clinics at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital & Horton General Hospital)
- Aston Villa Football Club Academy Doctor
- Moving Medicine Active Hospital Lead Clinician
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Musculoskeletal pain management including osteoarthritis
- Injury diagnosis
- Injury rehabilitation & return to sport
- Shockwave Therapy
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound & injection therapy
- Annual Sports Medicals
Available for video consultations
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- Stress fractures
- Hip and groin pain
- Sports Injuries
- Ligament Injury
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Back Pain
- Running Injuries
"I have know Chris for many years having trained with him as a fellow sports physician. A fantastic caring and diligent doctor. High level of experience in premier league football and international cricket. Cannot recommend highly enough! "