Professor Ohri is a Consultant Cardiac Surgeon with a special interest in coronary artery bypass grafting. He is known for founding the use of endoscopic vein harvesting in University Hospital Southampton and for being one of only two surgeons there who are able to perform transcatheter aortic valve replacements (TAVI).
Professor Ohri trained in cardiac surgery in London at the Middlesex Hospital, The Hammersmith Hospital and at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Harefield Hospital in cardiac transplantation. He undertook research at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital as a British Heart Foundation Fellow. He joined Southampton General Hospital as a Consultant Cardiac Surgeon in 1998. He was appointed as Honorary Senior Lecturer in 1999 by the University of Southampton and awarded a chair as Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery in 2019.
Professor Ohri's clinical research interests are in the pathophysiology of cardiopulmonary bypass and in molecular mechanisms of aortic wall re-modelling which has resulted in the publication of over 120 peer reviewed publications and two books on cardiac surgery. In addition, he received the Award of Higher Degrees (MD and PHD) by the University of Southampton for his role in directing the research of cardiac fellows. His contributions to research are continued via his role on the editorial boards of the journal Heart and on the International Board of the Cardiothoracic network, CTS net.
Prof Ohri has performed over 6000 heart operations since 1998. He currently has one of the largest practices in the UK and performs over 300 major heart operations a year. He believes in tailoring evidence-based care to meet every patient’s individual needs. He is recognised as one of the UK’s top performing Cardiac Surgeons, both in terms of surgical outcomes and patient feedback testimonial.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
Offer a complete spectrum of adult cardiac surgery, including:
- Mitral valve repair or replacement
- Aortic valve replacement
- Tricuspid valve repair or replacement
- Surgery of the aortic root and ascending aorta.
- Beating heart (off-pump) CABG surgery with endoscopic vein harvesting
- Surgery for atrial fibrillation
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Coronary Artery Surgery
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Repair
- Valve Repair or Replacement
- Artificial Heart Valve Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect Repair
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Transplant
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Traditional Aortic Valve Surgery
- Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR)
- Video Consultation
- Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat)
MB BS, MD, FRCS (Eng, Ed & CTh), FESC
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Member of the European Association of Cardiothoraic Surgery
- Member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (USA)
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Member of the Society for Cardiothorcaic Surgery, GB & Ireland
- Fellow of the Royal Colleges in England, Edinburgh and Glasgow