Practices worked at
Dr. Nijjer (see his website, DrNijjer.com) is an award winning Cardiologist who has an international reputation in coronary heart disease. Dr Nijjer is available in person and via video consultations - these are available daily, even in the evenings and weekends. He sees patients with chest pain or angina, breathlessness, palpitations, high blood pressure, and all cardiac problems.
He works a Consultant Cardiologist at both the Hammersmith Hospital and Chelsea & Westminster Foundation NHS Trust. He is a Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at Imperial College London. He undertakes his private practice at 68 Harley Street as part of the One Heart Clinic. He also see patients at BMI Syon Clinic, BMI Bishops Wood, the Cromwell Hospital and the Wellington Hospital. He also see patients at the private facilities at the Hammersmith Hospital and Chelsea & Westminster Hospital.
Dr Nijjer performs coronary intervention (angiography and stenting) at the catheter suites of the Hammersmith Hospital and Chelsea & Westminster NHS Foundation Trust. He also performs procedures at the Cromwell Hospital and the Wellington Hospital including pacemakers. He provides a full range of invasive procedures for the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease. He is part of the Primary Angioplasty on-call service at the Hammersmith Hospital which provides 24/7 care for patients suffering from a heart attack.
Dr Nijjer is an internationally recognised expert in invasive coronary physiology, an advanced technique which can help guide Cardiologists on when and where a coronary stent is needed. He has performed ground-breaking research into invasive technologies that have changed the field and lead to better treatment of patients around the world. He is regularly invited as a speaker and faculty at international conferences including the American College of Cardiology and TCT. Following his research, he provides medical education to other Doctors.
Dr. Nijjer studied medicine at the University of Bristol, where he graduated with Honours in 2004 with two undergraduate scholarships and many academic prizes. He was also awarded a First Class Honours degree with prizes in Pharmacology which was supported by the prestigious Wolfson Award from the Royal College of Physicians.
He undertook his Cardiology training at the Hammersmith Hospital, Charing Cross Hospital, St Mary's Hospital, Harefield Hospital and the Royal Brompton Hospital. In his role as Consultant, Dr Nijjer has strived to deliver the best patient care while working across multiple hospital sites in west London. He works closely with General Practitioners, Kidney and Diabetes specialists to ensure the best outcomes for patients with complex needs.
Dr. Nijjer is committed to the better treatment of patients through the development and application of new medical technologies. His PhD, funded by the Medical Research Council and awarded by Imperial College, involved the development of new techniques (iFR and iFR-pullback) to measure blood flow in coronary arteries with blockages. Dr Nijjer pioneered the use of iFR-pullback to better use coronary stents in patients with many blockages and the iFR technology has now been used in thousands of patients around the world. A recent editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine referred to it as 'the new gold standard' and major international studies are ongoing and Dr Nijjer has worked on the design and running of these complex studies.
Dr. Nijjer possesses clinical expertise in all aspects of cardiology, including treating patients with chest pain, angina, breathlessness on exertion, palpitations or collapse. He has expertise in assessing and treating patients at increased risk of heart disease such as patients with high blood pressure, diabetes or raised cholesterol. He uses all of the latest stress testing techniques and if needed, invasive angiography, coronary stenting, and can implant pacemakers or cardiac monitoring devices when it is needed.
Dr. Nijjer's holistic approach to treatment is one of understanding as he recognises and responds to the fact that an individual's medical issues exist alongside other aspects of their lives, treating any medical conditions in a way that fits the lifestyle of his patients. He utilises the latest guideline-supported cardiac test to ensure his patients are fully investigated in addition to his thorough clinical assessment.
Personal Website for more details
Visit: https://DrNijjer.com website to read more information on how Dr Nijjer can help you and to read information on common heart tests.
Videos of Dr Nijjer
Visit this link to see Dr Nijjer discussing his practice, his healthcare ethos and how he can help you with your health concerns.
Visit this link to see Dr Nijjer describe his website and the information available regarding cardiac testing and treatment, as well Covid-19.
Visit this link to see Dr Nijjer describing which patients who need coronary angiography.
Visit this link to see Dr Nijjer describing heart artery stenting:
Visit this Youtube link to see Dr Nijjer discussing the management and treatment approach to Atrial Fibrillation - a common heart problem:
Video of Dr Nijjer talking about advances in healthcare technology
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Dr Nijjer provides a full range of Cardiac Tests. Many of these can be performed on the same day as the Consultation (some times referred to as 'One Stop Clinic'). You can learn more about these tests through this link
- Coronary Angiography (diagnosis of coronary artery disease)
- Percutaneous coronary intervention with/without stenting
- Advanced adjunctive intracoronary technologies (3D pictures of inside the heart arteries)
- Fractional flow reserve (FFR) (measure blood flow within the heart vessels)
- Instant wave free ratio (iFR) (measure blood flow within the heart vessels)
- Coronary flow reserve (CFR) (measure blood flow within the heart vessels)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS) (3D pictures of inside the heart arteries)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) (3D pictures of inside the heart arteries)
- Pacemaker Devices: single and dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Echocardiography (take ultrasound pictures of the heart and valves)
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Exercise Stress Tests
- Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring
- ECG Holter monitoring
- Stress echocardiography
- CT Coronary Angiography (Angiography using CT scanner)
- Reporting of CT Coronary Angiography
- Cardiac MRI (highly specialist test, used to assess for heart muscle problems, ischaemia and scaring)
- Dr Nijjer will provide full explantion of all of these tests, why they are needed and how they are performed. You will get a full explanation of the results and how they apply to your care. Dr Nijjer individualises his care so that your specific programme of tests are applicable to you and your condition.
- Cardiac disease prevention and coronary heart disease
- Chest Pain, chest tightness, angina
- Shortness of breath
- Ischaemic heart disease, coronary angioplasty and bypass surgery
- Heart Attacks
- Acute coronary syndromes
- Heart Failure
- Cardiac Valve disease
- Aortic stenosis
- Aortic regurgitation
- Mitral regurgitation
- Mitral stenosis
- Hypertension / High Blood Pressure
- Hypercholesterolaemia / high cholesterol
- Cardiac risk assessment
- Covid-19 and Cardiac Impact - Covid-19 has an impact on the heart. If you have had Covid-19, some patients have been having palpitations, chest pains and ongoing breathlessness. Dr Nijjer has experience in treating these issues as he was on the front-line treating Covid-19 patients in busy NHS hospitals. Dr Nijjer has published articles in the field and he will help assess your condition promptly. It is important to note many patients suffered major heart problems during the pandemic and many have had their cardiac care delayed: Dr Nijjer will expedite the care you need.
- 24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitor
- Bubble Contrast Echocardiography
- CT Coronary Angiogram
- Calcium Coronary Score
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardio-Pulmonary Exercise Testing
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Stent Insertion
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)
- ECG Monitor
- Exercise Stress Test
- Myocardial Perfusion Scan
- Pacemaker Surgery
- Video Consultation
- Chest Pain
- Heart Attack
- High Blood Pressure
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Failure
- Heart Murmurs
- Heart Muscle Disease
- Heart Valve Problems
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Long QT Syndrome
- Loss of Consciousness (Syncope)
- Low Blood Pressure
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Unstable Angina
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Ventricular Fibrillation
- Ventricular Septal Defects (VSD)
- BSc (Hons) University of Bristol 2001 (First Class)
- MB ChB (Hons) University of Bristol 2004
- MRCP (London) Royal College of Physicians 2007
- PhD Imperial College London 2016
- British Cardiac Intervention Society, Communications Lead
- Royal Society of Medicine, President, Cardiology Section
- British Cardiac Society
- European Society of Cardiology Microcirculation Working Group
- European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions
Excellent cardiologist! Very conscientious and hard working. Clinically up to date. Very good colleague.
Dr Nijjer is an excellent cardiologist. He provides compassionate care with clear communication with his patients, who have all fed back directly to me about how he has a great bedside manner providing clear management plans with impeccable bedside manner. He is a an expert in complex coronary intervention
Dr Nijjer is a world leading authority on coronary artery disease and at the forefront when it comes to offering patients cutting edge, evidence based treatment. I have seen him go above and beyond for his patients on many occasions.
Excellent colleague with very strong clinical and communication skills - expert sub-specialist in treatment of coronary disease and chest pain.