Mr Shortt is a leading ophthalmic surgeon and an expert in the fields of cornea, cataract, lens implants and laser eye surgery. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and a highly experienced surgeon having performed over 3,000 eye surgery procedures. Mr Shortt trained and worked as a consultant ophthalmologist at the world renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital for 14 years. He has received numerous prizes and distinctions including the Fight for Sight prize, the Moorfields Research Medal and both the Crombie and Harcourt medals from The Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
Mr Shortt studied medicine at the National University of Ireland in Dublin. He then studied for an MSc in Physiology at UCD, Dublin followed by a PhD in Ophthalmology at University College, London. This was followed by 10 years of specialised clinical, surgical and research training at Moorfields Eye Hospital culminating in his appointment as an NHS consultant at Moorfields. In 2016 he left Moorfields to establish his own independent eye clinic on London’s famous Harley Street.
- Mr Shortt sits on the editorial boards of various professional publications and has published extensively himself. He holds a research position at University College London’s Institute of Ophthalmology where he and his research team are working to develop new stem cell therapies for corneal blindness.
- CertLRS (Royal College of Ophthalmologists)
- PGDipCRS (University of Ulster)
- PhD (University College London)
- MRCOphth (Royal College of Ophthalmologists)
- MSc (University College Dublin)
- MB ChB (University College Dublin)
An excellent clinician with the most gentle and approachable bedside manner. I would recommend him for unrushed care of the highest quality