Mr Deshpande joined King's College Hospital as a consultant in 2007, where he is now a senior consultant in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Having trained in the South-East Thames London Cardiothoracic Surgical Programme he received a prestigious scholarship from the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons to work in OLV Zeinkenhaus, Belgium to learn port-access endoscopic mitral valve repair surgery for mitral valve prolapse. In 2006, Mr Deshpande was appointed as Senior Registrar in Advanced Aortic & Robotic Cardiac Surgery at London's Royal Brompton Hospital.
On top of a wealth of expertise in general cardiothoracic surgery, Mr Deshpande is highly specialised in Minimally Invasive (Key Hole) Cardiac & Thoracic Surgery. He is well known for his use of bilateral internal mammary arteries for coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) to achieve near-total arterial re-vascularisation for ischemic heart disease. Furthermore, he is globally renowned for endoscopic CABG performed as a “beating heart” procedure without opening the sternum. In addition to his clinical practice, Ranjit is one of the lead surgeons of the internationally renowned “Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation” (TAVI) programme at King’s.
He is a prominent member of the complex major aortic surgery group, specially designed for aortic root and aortic dissection surgery, an initiative of the South London Cardiac Network. Mr Deshpande is also the Founder & Treasurer of the British & Irish Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery.
In his spare time, Mr Deshpande enjoys spending time with his family, going to the theatre and playing cricket.
- Keyhole heart surgery for coronary artery disease and heart valve disease
- Mitral valve repair surgery for mitral regurgitation.
- Mitral valve replacement for mitral stenosis
- Aortic Valve replacement and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for aortic stenosis
- Aortic valve or root replacement or repair for aortic regurgitation, Marfan's disease or ascending aortic aneurysm
- Tricuspid valve repair or replacement for tricuspid regurgitation
- Resection of cardiac tumours, myxoma
- Port access cardiac surgery
- Endoscopy-assisted heart surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft surgery for ischaemic heart disease, angina, shortness of breath, heart failure.
- Minimal Access or Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Endoscopy Assisted CABG
- Port Access Mitral Valve Repair
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation
- Surgery for heart failure
MBBS, MS (General Surgery) & MCh (Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery) Bombay University in 1995.
Member Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons in 1996
Full registration GMC 4592860 in 1998
FRCS (C/Th, England) in 2002
Member of Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain & Ireland in 2003
Treasurer British Irish Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery in 2016
Dear Mr Deshpande, Just a short note to express my appreciation for your care and expertise when you performed a mitral valve repair on me in January 2016. I met with my cardiologist, Malcolm Davidson this morning and he once again reiterated what an excellent job you had done. This prompted me to once again say thank you. My wife and I have moved back to Brisbane now and have become grandparents so life is good.