Mr Alkari Specialises in complex liver, pancreas and bile duct disease, including Gallbladder disease, with a specialist interest in advanced laparoscopic surgical techniques.
He played a big role in the introduction of the Suspected Gallbladder Clinic at BMI Albyn Hospital. This clinic allows for referred patients to be seen by the surgeon, undergo the relevant diagnostic testing, go through a pre-assessment, and confirm a date for surgery, all within the same appointment.
Mr Alkari holds an academic appointment at the University of Aberdeen as a senior lecturer and is an examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He is heavily involved in the teaching, the regular assessment and examination of undergraduate and postgraduate students. Furthermore, he holds regular lectures at the Suttie Centre on dealing with biliary and pancreatic surgery. He has been voted recently as a Council Memeber and Trustee at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Mr Alkari Accept direct referrals and welcomes Telephone and Video Consultation convenient for remote patients or patients concerned about exposure to COVID 19 and those in Self Isolation/ Shielding.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Laparoscopic Bile Duct surgery
- Complex gallbladder surgery
- Surgery for Pancreatitis
- Laparoscopic liver and Pancreatic Surgery
- Pancreatic benign and Malignant tumours
- Liver Benign and Malignant tumours and lesions
- Surgical management of biliary (Gallbladder), pancreatic and hepatic disease
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Advanced laparoscopic abdominal wall hernia surgery (Inguinal, Femoral, Umbilical and incisional)
- Gallstone Surgery
- Hernia Repair (Keyhole)
- Gallbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy)
- Video Consultation
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Liver Resection
- Liver Surgery
- Open Hernia Repair
- Whipple Procedure
- Inguinal Hernia
- Femoral Hernia
- Gallbladder Cancer
Mr Bassam Alkari graduated from Damascus University (Syria) in 1994 which was then followed by post-graduate training. He undertook his surgical training in the Midlands and North West of England before being appointed as a Consultant Surgeon in Aberdeen in 2008.
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Fellow and Council Memeber)
- NHS Education of Scotland (Core Surgical Training Regional Advisor)
"I have known Bassam since 2008 as a colleague and a friend. We have worked closely together, both in the public and private sector. Bassam has looked after my patients with extreme care and diligence. He is well-liked by his peers, colleagues and patients. He is approachable and through in his approach. He has excellent clinical and administrative skills. I have no hesitation in recommending him as a surgeon and on a personal basis. "