Practices worked at
*At this difficult time, Dr Woodland will be happy to provide video or telephone consultation in place of face to face meetings. This can be arranged very promptly on a flexible timetable*
Dr Philip Woodland is a consultant gastroenterologist and honorary senior lecturer at the Royal London Hospital, a prestigious London teaching hospital. Dr Woodland's private gastroenterology practice is at the Princess Grace Hospital, which is located in close proximity to London's leading medical district around Harley Street.
Dr Woodland received his medical degree from University College London Hospital and went on to complete his PhD in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease at Queen Mary University, London.
In his clinics, Dr Woodland's approach is simple, he continually endeavours to ensure that his patients feel at ease. He makes certain that all his patients receive the time and attention they need when explaining their symptoms and the impact that this is having on their respective lives. To this extent, he is highly-skilled at correctly diagnosing and recommending the appropriate care and treatment programs.
In both his NHS and private clinics, Dr Woodland diagnoses and treats a wide range of gastrointestinal illness. He is also an advanced endoscopist and is highly skilled at performing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as gastroscopies, colonoscopies and endoscopic ultrasounds.
Dr Woodland is passionate about research and has an active portfolio of projects that he is currently working on. His particular focus is on research into gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and difficulty when swallowing. Owing to his experience and exploits, it should therefore come as no surprise that he is regularly invited to present his findings and offer his views at prestigious international conferences and meetings on these subjects.
- Therapeutic gastroscopy
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Acid reflux (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease)
- Barrett’s oesophagus
- Difficulty swallowing
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- British Society of Gastroenterology Neurogastroenterology Committee
- Member of the editorial board for the Neurogastroenterology & Motility Journal
- Peer reviewer of research proposals - Bowel and Cancer Research Grants committee
- Peer reviewer of research proposals - The National Institute of Health Research
- Member of the Royal Collegel of Physicians
- Member of the British Gastroenterology Society
- Member of the American Gastroenterology Association
I’ve been a patient of Dr Philip Woodlands for several years. His Kind, calm and sympathetic manner makes him the go to gastroenterologist for anyone who is nervous and worried. I wouldn’t go to anyone else.
Dr Woodland has been outstanding with regards to my treating my illness. He arranged to have an emergency procedure for me when I needed it. Thank-you Dr Woodland.
- I had a consultation on the 26th Feb with Dr Philip Woodland having suffered some debilitating vomiting symptoms since August 2017. - Between August 2017 and Feb 2018, I was taken into A&E twice and since then have visited by GP 7 or 8 times and had 4-5 rounds of tests done (everything came back negative) - I often missed work and had 'random episodes' (often multiple times a week) that showed no patterns or correlations to my lifestyle and little investigation was done by my GP to understand the root of my symptoms - I lost over a stone in weight and looked skeletal for a long period of time/ often encountered eating disorder comments/ food anxieties - I knew these were not the problems! - Following this, my doctors were unable to provide a diagnosis, I sought a private referral and spent a while researching different gastroenterologists based on their experience to find a person who really specialised in gastroenterology (this seemed the best place to start!) - I scheduled a consultation via Bupa During my consultation, Dr Philip Woodland was thorough in his questioning and understanding my symptoms. This followed with more questioning and provided a methodical list of problem areas, in which following more questioning, honed in on a few diagnosis that remained - He provided me with honest, professional advice and counsel - He was non-judgmental and took my concerns very seriously - He was incredibly thorough in his questioning and understanding the exact nature of my symptoms He advised I suffered a fairly rare condition (seen 4/5 times a year) and provided excellent counsel and advice. I have since taken this on board (immediately!) and have not experienced a single episode/ symptom since. I would like not to disclose the nature of my illness/ cause, but have experienced a full recovery almost immediately after consultation with Dr Woodland and would not hesitate to recommend him following an outstanding and life changing consultation with him (may I also had, half an hour consultation and he was able to identify, diagnose and provide advice needed to make a full recovery) I am extremely grateful and incredibly glad I made the choice to seek treatment from him and would urge any person to do the same JG
The most caring and professional doctor I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. Mr Woodland is by far a first class surgeon and i would highly recommend him.
Dr Woodland is an exceptional Gastroenterologist and I am extremely satisfied to have him as my doctor. He deals with patients in a highly professional and understanding manner. I have been able to openly discuss all aspects of my health problems (IBD; anxiety) with Dr Woodland, and his guidance/treatment has been very effective. Having undergone a couple of procedures (Endoscopy & Colonoscopy) and a few follow-up sessions - which have led to improved health results - I am confident in his expertise, and delighted to recommend him to other patients. With him, you are in good hands.
Dr Woodland is an excellent general gastroenterologist with a particular expertise in disorders of the oesophagus, acid reflux and endoscopy. He offers patients sensible, practical and up to date advice on their medical condition and is particularly good at dealing with patients with complex symptoms. I would refer a family member to him!
Dr Woodland offers thorough and compassionate care to my patients. He is informative and practices to a very high standard.