Mr Stuart McGimpsey is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon with over
10 years of consultancy experience. He is a general ophthalmologist performing
treatments such as cataract surgery. Mr
McGimpsey’s specialism is in Vitreoretinal surgery which includes surgical treatments
for retinal detachment, macular holes, epiretinal membranes and diabetic
retinopathy. He also has an interest in the treatment of macular degeneration
and retinal vascular diseases.
Mr McGimpsey has been a Consultant Ophthalmologist at the
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust from April 2009 to the present. Since
October 2016, he has been the Clinical Lead of the Ophthalmology Macular
Service at the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust.
He completed his Post Graduate Training (Graham Lovett Fellow in
Vitreoretinal Surgery and Macular Diseases) at Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye
Hospital. He has an active role in
teaching and is a Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmology Training
Committee and is joint Ophthalmology simulation lead in the Belfast Trust.
Mr McGimpsey has published a series of research papers:
· Mikhail MA, Mangioris G, Best RM, McGimpsey S, Chan WC.
Management of giant retinal tears with vitrectomy and perfluorocarbon liquid
postoperatively as a short-term tamponade. Eye (Lond). 2017 Aug 11. doi:
· Gnana Jothi V, McGimpsey S, Sharkey JA, Chan WC. Retinal
detachment repair and cataract surgery in patients with atopic dermatitis. Eye
(Lond). 2017 Aug 11. doi: 10.1038/eye.2017.151.
· Mikhail MA, Mangioris G, Casalino G, McGimpsey S, Sharkey
J, Best R, Chan WC. Outcome of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment
surgery in a tertiary referral centre in Northern Ireland - A regional study.
Ulster Med J. 2017 Jan;86(1):15-19
· Chamney S, McGimpsey S, McConnell V, Willoughby CE. Iris
Flocculi as an ocular marker of ACTA2 mutation in familial thoracic aortic
aneurysms and dissections.Ophthalmic Genet. 2015 Mar;36(1):86-8.
· Chakravarthy U, McGimpsey SJ, McAvoy C. How Baseline
Assessment of AMD Lesion Type Influences Clinical Decisions and Outcomes.
Retinal Physician July 2010
· McGimpsey SJ, Chakravarthy U. VEGF-targeted therapy and
beyond: pharmacotherapy and emerging treatments in age related macular
degeneration. Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology, March 2010, Vol. 3, No.
2, Pages 243-252
· McGimpsey SJ, Woodside JV, Cardwell C, Cahill M,
Chakravarthy U. Homocysteine, MTHFR C677T polymorphism and risk of retinal vein
occlusion: a meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2009 Sep;116(9):1778-1787.e1.
· Williams MA, McGimpsey S, Abugreen S, Chan W, Sharkey JA,
Best RM, Johnston PB. The incidence and rate of rhegmatogenous retinal
detachment seven years after cataract surgery in patients with high myopia.
Ulster Med J. 2009 May;78(2):99-104.
· McGimpsey SJ, Gillies MC. Treatment of macular
degeneration- controversy and hope. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008 Mar;92(3):436-7.
· Subbiah S, McGimpsey S, Best RM. Retrobulbar hemorrhage
after sub-Tenon's anesthesia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007 Sep;33(9):1651-2.
· McGimpsey SJ, Rankin SJA. A Case of Sjögren’s Reticular
Dystrophy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007 Jun;125(6):850.
· McGimpsey SJ, Cooke CA, Best RM. Laser Pneumatic
Retinopexy to Treat Recurrent Retinal Detachment Without Detectable Breaks.
Ophthalmology. 2007 Feb;114(2):401-2.
· McGimpsey SJ, Williams M, Mulholland DA. Ten year follow
up of pigmentary retinopathy associated with 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase
deficiency. Eye. 2006 Sep;20(9):1074-5
· Cooke CA, McGimpsey S, Mahon G, Best RM. An in vitro study
of human lens epithelial cell adhesion to intraocular lenses with and without a
fibronectin coating. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006 Jul;47(7):2985-9.
· Williams MA, McGimpsey SJ, Mulholland DA. Cystoid macular
oedema and renal failure. Med Hypotheses. 2006;66(4):861-2
· McGimpsey SJ, Woodside JV, Bamford L, Gilchrist SE,
Graydon R, McKeeman GC, Young IS, Hughes AE, Patterson CC, O'Reilly D, McGibbon
D, Chakravarthy U. Retinal vein occlusion, homocysteine, and methylene
tetrahydrofolate reductase genotype. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005
· McGimpsey SJ, Rankin SJA. An unusual case of intraocular
foreign body. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2005 Dec;33(6):665
· Chan WC, McGimpsey SJ, Murphy MF, Best RM. Suprachoroidal
haemorrhage following Nd:YAG laser posterior capsulotomy. Clin Experiment
Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;33(3):334-5.
· Graham LE, McGimpsey S, Wright S, McClean G, Carser J,
Stevenson M, Wootton R, Taggart AJ. Could a low-cost audio-visual link be
useful in rheumatology? J Telemed Telecare. 2000;6 Suppl 1:S35-7
MB, BCh, BAO Queen’s University Belfast
BSc Medical Genetics Queens University Belfast
Sydney Eye Hospital 2007
Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Member of the British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons (BEAVRS)