Practices worked at
Dr Besherdas has been a consultant since 2000 and has developed an interest and expertise in therapeutic endoscopy. He is a JAG (Joint Advisory Group on Gastrointestinal Endoscopy) accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist. He also has expertise in endoscopy of the biliary tree (ERCP) of which he undertakes more than 200 procedures per annum.
He has expertise in all aspects of diagnostic and therapeutic upper GI endoscopy (gastroscopy) as well as lower GI (colonoscopy) including dilatation, stenting and feeding tube insertions.
Dr Besherdas has held senior positions in NHS, below is a list of some of his past and current roles:
- Undergraduate lead clinician for medicine at Barnet Hospital.
- Member of the Specialist Training Committee in Gastroenterology with the London Deanery.
- Clinical Service Lead in Endoscopy at Barnet and Chase Farm Hospital.
- Clinical Service Lead for Gastroenterology at Royal Free Hospitals (Barnet and Chase Farm).
In addition to the above, he is an Honorary Senior Lecturer and Gastroenterologist at the University College London Medical School. Dr Besherdas is actively involved in teaching and training undergraduates. He has also presented and published posters at many national and international gastroenterology events
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Oesophageal dilatation
- Oesophageal stenting
- Gastric and duodenal stenting
- pyloric dilatation
- Colonoscopy and polypectomy
- Colonic dilatation
- Colonic stenting
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
- Biliary stenting
- Biliary stone extraction
- Therapeutic endoscopy
- Percultaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Hiatus hernia
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Motility disorders of the oesophagus
- Weight loss
- Gastric and Duodenal ulceration
- Coeliac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Colonic polyps
- Bowel cancer screening
- Colon cancer
- Gallbladder disorders
- Fatty liver and other disorders of liver function including obstructive jaundice and pancreatic cancer
- Gastrointestinal endoscopy including gastroscopy, colonoscopy and ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)
- MB BS 1991 University of London
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Member of the British Society of Gastroenterology
- Member of the American Society of Gastroenterology
- Member of the BMA
- Member of the Medical Protection Society
- Member of the European Society of Gastrointesinal Endoscopy
I have worked with Dr Besherdas for many years. He is a highly skilled and experienced Doctor. I would not hesitate to recommend him.
Dr Besherdas is a very pleasant doctor, good clinician and an expert in gastroenterology. He has an excellent bedside manner - highly recommend.