Professor Eric Lim received his undergraduate medical education at The University of Sheffield. He went on to complete heart and lung surgical training at Royal Papworth Hospital in Cambridge and at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Professor Lim spent time in medical research in Cambridge where he was awarded a Doctorate of Medicine. He received his Masters of Science in Medical Statistics, funded by a UK Medical Research Council Scholarship.
He joined the Royal Brompton Hospital in 2007 as a thoracic surgeon and leads the hospital’s Cancer Research Consortia. Professor Lim specialises in thoracic surgical diseases, with a strong focus on patient care, aspiring to make thoracic surgery that causes the least amount of pain and disruption to the patient’s life as possible.
- Minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery for lung and chest cancer
- Airway and blood vessel reconstruction – to save as much normal lung as possible
- Complex surgery for advanced lung cancer
- Mediastinal surgery
- Pleural effusion
- Pneumothorax and other chest cancers
- MB ChB 1996 University of Sheffield
- MSc Biostatistics University of London 2004
- FRCS (C-Th) Royal College of Surgeons 2006
- MD University of East Anglia 2007
Professor Eric Lim currently holds positions as:
- Chair of British Thoracic Society / Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery Guidelines on the Radical Management of Lung Cancer 2010
- Member of European Society of Medical Oncology Guidelines for the Management of Early-stage Lung Cancer 2013
- Member of the European Neuroendocrine Society Guidelines on the Management of Bronchopulmonary Neuroendocrine Tumours 2014
- Associate editor of Thorax
- Associate editor of the European Thoracic Oncology Platform
- Council member of European Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Member of Steering Committee of the British Thoracic Oncology Group
- Panel member of UK Intercollegiate Speciality Board in Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Chair of UK Thoracic Surgery Research Collaborative
- Deputy Statistics Editor for the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
The treatment and care I received from Mr. Lim and his team was excellent. Initial contact to obtaining an appointment was very fast and he was very accommodating to my needs and personal schedule. Communication was excellent throughout leaving me very comfortable with what to expect at all stages of the procedure. The surgery was clearly performed with great skill and care as I was left with no pain and very little discomfort during the immediate and longer term recovery. A first class service.