General Medical Council: 3189726
In 2014, Sunil was voted in the top 100 most influential Ophthalmologists in the world. He has performed well over 500 cataract/lens extraction procedures a year and specialises in complex cataract surgery.
Sunil currently works as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre and Honorary Consultant at Birmingham Children's Hospital. There he specialises in complex corneal and refractive surgery and independently developed the laser eye surgery technique now called LASEK.
Sunil continues to take an active role in research, his main interests being new intraocular lenses and how the difference in corneal thickness can make when measuring the pressure inside the eye. This can make a big difference when diagnosing glaucoma.
- MBBS - University of London - 1987
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists - 1992
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh - 1992
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- British Society for Refractive Surgery
- United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- European Society of Cornea and Ocular Surface Disease Specialists
- British Contact Lens Association
- British Medical Association
- Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland