Practices worked at
Specialist's working hours
Mr Shanks Gurjar was appointed as a Consultant Laparoscopic Colorectal & General Surgeon at Luton & Dunstable University Hospital in January 2012. He has a specialist interest in laparoscopic (keyhole) gastrointestinal surgery for bowel cancer (colon and rectum), inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis) and surgical treatment of diverticular disease, and rectal prolapse. He also offers expertise in laparoscopic groin hernia surgery (inguinal, femoral) and incisional hernia repair.
He offers treatment for all common coloproctology conditions including haemorrhoids (THD and Rafaelo), anal fistula surgery, pilonidal sinus, and anal fissures. He is an accredited endoscopist with expertise in colonoscopy and polypectomy.
Shanks graduated from St Marys Hospital, London in 1997, then trained as a surgeon in the South-East Thames region, before completing a fellowship in pelvic floor surgery at John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford.
He has a strong academic interest in clinical surgery and has published extensively across the field of colorectal & general surgery in various papers in peer-reviewed journals. He is currently an examiner for the General Medical Council and actively trains young surgeons in laparoscopic keyhole surgery.
Shanks strives to ensure all his patients have a high quality, evidence-based approach to their care. He holds practising privileges at a number of hospitals in North London and Hertfordshire.
Private Secretary (Denise Bodsworth) 07506 589070
- Colorectal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Open Hernia Repair
- Bowel Diversion Surgery
- Skin Lesion Removal (Warts, Moles and Skin Tags)
- Abdominoperineal Resection
- Endoscopy (OGD)
- Pilonidal Sinus Excision
- Rectal Biopsy
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Abscess Incision and Drainage
- Bowel Surgery (Colectomy)
- Excision of Benign Lesions
- Excision of Sebaceous Cysts
- Hernia Repair (Keyhole)
- Lipoma Removal
- Removal of Rectum and Colon (Proctocolectomy)
- Skin Lesion Treatments
- Surgical Oncology
- Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM)
- Anal Fistula
- Inguinal Hernia
- Bowel Cancer
- Anal Fissure
- Colitis (Ulcerative Colitis)
- Pilonidal Sinus Disorders
- Anal Cancer
- Bowel Obstruction
- Colon Cancer
- Crohn’s Disease
- Faecal Incontinence
- Femoral Hernia
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Rectal Cancer
- 1997 MBBS at St. Mary's
- 2002 MSc at UCL
- 2009 FRCS General Surgery
- 2014 Diploma in Medical Education
- British Medical Association
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- European Society of Coloproctology
- Association of Surgeons GB and Ireland
- Association of Coloproctology GB and Ireland
- General Medical Council Investigations Committee Panellist
"Approachable and excellent laparoscopic surgeon, with proven good outcomes"
"I am delighted to recommend Mr Gurjar who is an excellent general surgeon and colleague."
"Excellent general and IBD surgeon. Open and laparoscopic surgery. Great bedside manner feedback from patients."
"Mr Gurjar is recommended colleague to whom I will readily refer patients with Colorectal problems. He is a reliable, skilful and caring colleague."