Practices worked at
Specialist's working hours
I am a Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon at Croydon University Hospital in the National Health Service and HCA London Bridge in Central London. I am a general, upper GI, Laparoscopic and Hernia surgeon. I specialise in managing hernias of all types and the acute management of gallstones cases and have established an acute pathway for managing these cases at Croydon. I also have a particular interest in abdominal wall hernia surgery, having established the Croydon MDT for managing complex hernias. A significant proportion of my cases are performed with keyhole surgery although a tailored, patient-centered approach is my preferred method for choosing the right operation for each patient. I am the lead upper gastrointestinal (GI) surgeon at Croydon University Hospital and am dedicated to developing the service for the benefit of local patients.
I also developed the anti-reflux surgical service at Croydon and this service continues to flourish.
In my spare time I am a single figure handicap golfer and I enjoy cycling.
To make an appointment to see me please call Simone Caggiano or Caroline Godfrey on 07738 622 799 / 020 3488 2920 or email email@example.com
For more information visit: www.croydonsurgeon.com, https://hcahealthcare.doctify.com/hca/specialist/mr_rhys_thomas or https://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/consultants/rhys-thomas
Please make an enquiry for adhoc video consultations as well as face to face consults.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Keyhole (laparoscopic) hernia repair
- Open hernia repair
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Lipoma removal
- Skin lesion treatments
- Achalasia surgery
- Video consultation
Visit www.croydonsurgeon.com for full information and procedure-specific information sheets.
- Inguinal hernia
- Femoral hernia
- Elective and emergency general and upper GI surgery
- Complex abdominal wall hernia repair
- Abdominal wall reconstruction
- Acute surgical management of emergency gallstone patients
- Acute biliary surgery
- Anti-reflux surgery
For more information visit: www.croydonsurgeon.com
- Open Hernia Repair
- Lipoma Removal
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Hernia Repair (Keyhole)
- Achalasia Surgery
- Acid Reflux Surgery
- Endoscopy (OGD)
- Excision of Lymph Nodes
- Gallbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy)
- Gallstone Surgery
- Liver Function Tests
- Skin Lesion Treatments
- Inguinal Hernia
- Barrett's Oesophagus
- Dyspepsia (Indigestion)
- Femoral Hernia
- Gallbladder Disease
- Gastric (Stomach) Ulcers
- Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD) or Reflux
- Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD)
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Heart Burn
- Hiatus Hernia
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Swollen Stomach
- Upper Gastrointestinal Conditions (Oesophagus & Stomach)
- MBBS - Imperial College School of Medicine - qualified 2003
- Senior House Officer, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford - 2005-2007
- Specialist Registrar in Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery: South West Thames training rotation - 2007-2015
- Clinical Fellow in Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery, Royal Surrey Hospital, Guildford - 2009-2011
- Consultant General and Upper GI surgeon, Croydon University Hospital - 2015-present
Memberships of Societies
- FRCS - Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England - 2015
"Mr Thomas is a dedicated and skilled surgeon and is my number one choice when I'm looking for an Upper GI Surgeon to handle problems, relating to Gallstones, Hernias and other complex issues affecting the Upper GI tract. He's always approachable and ensures that this patients are listened to and that everyone is clear on the treatment plan being proposed. He is an exemplary presence in the operating theatre where his calm confidence ensures that the best possible care is delivered every time. Highly recommended!"
"Rhys is a Consultant Surgeon colleague who treats upper gastrointestinal conditions such as gallstones. He is a skilful laparoscopic surgeon who puts the care of his patients at the heart of his practice. I have seen at first hand the dedication and commitment he shows towards his patients. Rhys is a colleague whom I value his opinion and I recommend him highly."
"Rhys is a fantastic colleague and an outstanding surgeon. I have full faith in his expert opinion and operative experience. He is a good listener and is very well liked by his colleagues and patients alike. "
"I am happy to refer Mr Rhys Thomas, as an excellent General surgeon, with a specialist practice in Gallstones, Acid reflux and Pancreatitis. "