Michael Miller is an Honorary consultant in ophthalmology at Moorfields Eye Hospital. He was Director of the Cataract Service at Moorfields for 10 years, contributing to the development of cataract services at Moorfields and the Moorfields Outreach Clinics. He worked at Moorfields in Northwick Park Hospital unitl 2017. He has performed many thousands of cataract operations, both routine procedures and complex operations, up to 1300 per year.
He trained in ophthalmology at Middlesex Hospital London, St Thomas's Hospital London and Moorfields Eye Hospital. he had two periods of research at the Institute of Ophthalmology in London where his contributions to ophthalmic surgery were awarded an MD in 1988.
Mr Miller was appointed as a consultant ophthalmologist to Moorfields Eye Hospital in 1992 working within the Cataract and Glaucoma Services. His current appointment is Honorary Consultant Surgeon at Moorfield Eye Hospital.
He uses monofocal lens implants at cataract surgery, and toric premium lenses for correction of astigmatism. He declines to use multifocal lens implants where he considers there to be a mismatch between patient expectations and the quality of vision that can be achieved with a multifocal lens implant.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Cataract Surgery
- Complex Cataract Surgery
- Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery
- Cataract assessment
- MBBS London Universtiy 1981
- LRCP(Eng) MRCS(Lond) Colleges of Physicains and Surgeons 1979
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Royal Society of Medicine
- United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology