Practices worked at
NHS Practice: Consultant Orthopaedic and leadShoulder Surgeon, Northwick Park & Central Middlesex Hospitals. CEA (localClinical Excellence award).
Mr Matthew Sala is aConsultant Orthopaedic surgeon, specialising in the treatment of Shoulder,Elbow, Wrist and Hand conditions; & Knee injuries; including Joint, Muscle and Tendonpathology, complex fractures,sport and soft tissue injuries.
Qualified from the Universityof Liverpool Medical School. Completed Specialist training on the North Thamesrotation including University College Hospital, St Mary’s Paddington, Hammersmithand Charing Cross Hospitals.
Awarded FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons)then FRCS(Orth) in 1997; and CCST in1999.
Fellowship trained at the Universityof Toronto, Canada; based at St Michael’s Hospital; with additional VisitingSurgeon attachments to the Hand Unit, London, Ontario; Massachusetts GeneralHospital, Boston; & Hospital for Special Surgery, New York City.
Appointed Consultant Orthopaedicsurgeon at Northwick Park and Central Middlesex Hospitals (NW London University Healthcare NHS Trust) in 2000; and ClinicalLead for Shoulder Surgery, managinga tertiary referral service for complex shoulder problems. AppointedHonorary Senior Lecturer at Imperial College School of Medicine in 2001.
MrSala has extensive experience in shoulder arthroscopic surgery, performing over90% of procedures in this way, including Acromio-Clavicular ligamentreconstruction; he pioneered collagen scaffold andinflatable spacer implants in rotator cuff repair, for which he is partof a national collaborative study.
Heis actively engaged in the Exactec Shoulder Replacement Steering Group, alsoproviding advanced surgeon training.
Working with a team of highlyexperienced Anaesthetists and Specialised Physiotherapists in Central and NW London.
Selected to provide speciaslist shoulder and upper limb advice and treatment for the London 2012 Olympics.
- Shoulder and Elbow conditions treated
- Shoulder Dislocation; Shoulder instability.
- Shoulder stabilisation. Labral, Bankart repair: arthroscopic.
- SLAP lesion repair. Biceps tendon repair.
- Rotator cuff tendonitis and rotator cuff tears
- Subacromial and subcoracoid impingement.
- Rotator cuff Repair. Sub Acromial Decompression: arthroscopic.
- Insertion of "IN Space" inflatable implant for irreparable rotator cuff tears
- Frozen shoulder.
- Capsular release - for capsular fibrosis (frozen shoulder).
- Acromioclavicular joint injury, dislocation, instability, & arthritis.
- Shoulder arthritis.
- Total Shoulder Replacement Arthroplasty
- Reversed Polarity Arthroplasty (for arthritis with irreparable rotator cuff tear)
- Tennis elbow; Golfers elbow
- Elbow arthritis and stiffness
- Elbow fracture and soft tissue injury
- Olecranon bursitis
- Wrist and hand conditions treated:
- Cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Distal radio-ulnar joint and wrists arthritis
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Thumb (Trapezio-metacarpal) osteoarthritis
- Complex upper limb trauma surgery including:
- Shoulder, Scapula, Clavicle fracture
- Humeral, elbow, radius and ulna fracture
- Wrist fracture
- Hand and finger fracture
- Tendon/ligament injury repair and reconstruction
- Elbow capsular release for stiff elbows.
- Shoulder, Elbow & Hand conditions & sports injury.
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
- Shoulder Instability and Dislocation. Biceps and SLAP injuries. Frozen Shoulder;
- Acromioclavicular joint injuries and arthroscopic reconstruction.
- Rotator Cuff Impingement and Tears, rehabilitation, non-operative management and surgery including collagen Scaffold and inflatable implant surgery.
- Treatment of Shoulder Arthrosis.
- Tendonitis; Bursitis; Tendon injury and reconstruction. Tendon Shockwave Therapy
- Tennis & Golfers Elbow; Stiff elbow.
- Joint Pain; Arthritis; Joint Reconstruction; Joint Replacement.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. ThumbTendonitis (De Quervain's). Thumb and finger Arthritis.
- Fracture Management including complex shoulder, elbow, wrist, scaphoid and finger fracture and injuries.
Education & Training:
- Qualified from the University of Liverpool Medical School.
• British Elbow & Shoulder Society (BESS)
• British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
• British Medical Association (BMA)
• Royal Society of Medicine (RSM)
• Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS)
• Fellow of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
• London Consultants Association (LCA)
• Independent Doctors Federation (IDF)
• Federation of Independent Practitioners Organization (FIPO)
Mr Sala was very professional,courteous and provided a full explanation of the surgery required to my shoulder.
Amazingly thorough and detailed in his explanation and approach. No aspect of my operation left to chance (including planning my post-op physio, follow up, sling type, etc). I've had two separate procedures with Matthew. Results over and above what I was expecting. My shoulder is almost good as new. Highly recommended.
100% all round professional service and as a patient I felt very at ease and given all the time needed
I experienced poor treatment in the previous hospital in Spain when my accident occurred and came to Mr Sala feeling very anxious and in pain. Mr Sala spent time discussing with me my options between private and NHS treatment and being Self Pay, this was very important so that I could make an informed decision on the course of treatment going forward. Mr Sala ensured that my operation was arranged urgently and to this day, I continue to receive his full attention and support. Mr Sala clearly puts his patients first and my personal experience of my treatment from Mr Sala is second to none and for that, I am extremely grateful. And give (very easily) 5 stars for my review. Thank you Mr Sala
I saw Mr Sala after an accident where my collar bone was shattered and it was necessary to have surgery involving a titanium implant. Mr Sala performed the surgery and I also saw him for follow up appointments. I felt so fortunate to have met Mr Sala and was so thankful to be in his care - not only for the excellent surgery he performed, but also for his kind and considerate attitude on every visit. The appointments never felt rushed and he took the time to answer my many questions and concerns I had on both the specific surgery and the overall recovery process ahead. I would highly recommend Mr Sala as he has that rare combination of being absolutely top class in his skill and area of specialty as well as having empathy for a patient's state of mind when facing an unknown and difficult situation. I can't thank him enough.
I’ve been in Mr Sala’s care since September 6th 2018. I had a dangerous quad biking accident in Abu Dhabi 28th July 2018 where I broke my clavicle bone. I was operated on by NHS 3rd August, but the procedure was not carried out properly. When I spoke to Clementine Churchill Hospital back in 4th September I requested to see their best specialist which I was referred to Mr Sala. Since my first appointment till now, Mr Sala has corrected the first operation carried out by the NHS, but the care and reassurance is above and beyond my expectation. The procedure carried out on 3rd December by Mr Sala and the after care by him and working closely with my physiotherapist has been exceptional. But as well as repairing my physical injuries, Mr Sala has been constantly reassuring during consultations providing hope to my recovery, which I did not receive from NHS, which I nearly gave up hope. With the care from Mr Sala and his referral to my physiotherapist has given back my confidence and strength to the road to recovery. This accident had a major impact physically to me but also emotionally. Mr Sala’s understanding in both areas has helped me a great deal, and I would without doubt highly recommend him to anyone.
An excellent careful surgeon.
I have known and worked with Mr Sala for over 15 years. He has great rapport, and is a great clinician. He has excellent diagnostic and clinical skills, and is very proficient in both non surgical and surgical treatments. I would highly recommend him for any upper limb problem.
Mr Sala has been a mentor to me since 2009. He treats his patients passionately, and with utmost care.
Mathew is a respected senior colleague who has vast experience in treating problems with shoulders, elbows and wrists. He was one of my trainers and has become a mentor and friend. He is well liked by patients and colleagues alike. I certainly recommend him.