Mr James Ramus qualified from St Mary's Hospital medical school (now Imperial College), London in 1997.
He was awarded an MBBS (1997) and BSc in Anthropology (1996). He underwent basic training in london until 2004 and then continued his higher surgical training in the Oxford region which he completed in 2010. During this time he was also awarded an MD in clinical research from University College, London for his work on Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal cancer. He has published over 25 peer reviewed papers to date.
He was appointed as a consultant Upper GI and Bariatric surgeon at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading in May 2012. Over the last 8 years he has helped develop the Bariatric surgical service into a regional/Level 1 centre performing over 200 Bariatric procedures a year. The unit started performing Robotic Bariatric surgery in 2017 and are currently the only unit in the UK who routinely perform this type of surgery.
Mr Ramus works together with 3 other UGI/Bariatric surgeons as part of Thames Valley General Surgery LTD (TVGS)- a private surgical consortium providing surgical services to the independent sector.
'Optimise weightloss' is part of TVGS and includes a full multi-disciplinary team specialising in all types of weight loss procedures including primary and revisional operations.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Gall bladder surgery
- Acid reflux surgery
- Weight loss surgery
- gastric bypass
- sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric band
- Robotic Bariatric surgery
- Revisional Bariatric surgery
- Endoscopic gastric balloon
- Hernia surgery - laparoscopic and open
- Revisional anti-reflux surgery
- laparoscopic splenectomy
- Upper GI endoscopy
- Weight loss surgery
- Robotic bariatric surgery
- Revisional weight loss surgery
- Acid Reflux Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve
- Achalasia Surgery
- Gallbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy)
- Gallstone Surgery
- Gastric Balloon
- Gastric Banding
- Gastric Bypass
- Hernia Repair (Keyhole)
- Lipoma Removal
- Metabolic Surgery
- Mini Gastric Bypass
- Non-Surgical Weight Management
- Open Hernia Repair
- Skin Lesion Removal
- Video Consultation
- Weight Loss Programme
- Weight Loss/Bariatric Surgery
- Femoral Hernia
- Inguinal Hernia
- Weight Gain
- Weight Loss
- St Marys Hospital Medical School, London (now part of Imperial College) 1991-1997
- Basic surgical training - London 1998-2002
- Clinical Research (MD) Royal free Hospital, London 2002-2004
- Higher surgical training - Oxford 2004-2010
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS Eng) 2001
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Eng) 2009
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS) #10213374
- British Obesity & Metabolic Surgical Society (BOMSS)
- International Federation of Obesity Surgery (IFSO)
- British Medical Association #7524630
James Ramus is a very skilled surgeon, both in laparoscopic, robotic and open surgical procedures. He has considerable expertise in weight loss surgery, and wide experience in many weight loss procedures. He provides excellent care for his patients and is very popular with patients and colleagues alike. I would be very happy to recommend him to any patient requiring weight loss surgery, hernia repair, gallbladder surgery or treatment for acid reflux.
Jim is an excellent surgeon with expertise in Upper GI and weight loss surgery. He builds a good rapport with his patients and their families and gives thoughtful advise depending on their individual needs. He is an adept surgeon performing complex keyhole surgery with excellent outcomes.