Mr Guido Michielon is a consultant paediatric cardiac surgeon at Royal Brompton Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
He studied at Padua University, graduating with the highest honour (summa cum laude). He completed his clinical training in cardiac surgery in the USA, where he spent five years gaining experience in some of the country’s most renowned cardiac departments. This included Boston Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He has complete surgical training in adult, congenital, paediatric and neonatal cardiac surgery.
In 2001, he took on the position of attending paediatric cardiac surgeon at Bambino Gesù Children’s Hospital in Rome, Italy, where he specialised in aortic root and paediatric valve repair.
In 2012, he was appointed as a paediatric cardiothoracic surgeon at University Medical Centre Groningen in the Netherlands.
Mr Michielon joined Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals in 2015, where he is a consultant in paediatric cardiac surgery with special interest in neonatal surgery.
- Neonatal repair of complex congenital heart diseases
- Aortic arch reconstruction
- Aortic root surgery
- Aortic valve repair
- Valve-sparing procedures
- Stentless aortic valve implantation.
Mr Michielon has expertise in the three-stage Norwood procedure heart surgery for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. This includes:
- Comprehensive Norwood stage one and two
- Complex neonatal aortic arch reconstruction
- Arterial switch operation for transposition of the great arteries with complex coronary artery patterns
- Neonatal repair of pulmonary atresia ventricular septal defect (VSD)
- Aortic root surgery and complex mitral valve repair in paediatric patients