Dr Vasileios Panoulas is a consultant interventional cardiologist at the Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, where he treats both private and NHS patients.
His expertise is in the following areas:
- Complex PCI
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation
- Impella implantation
- Complex coronary angioplasty
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Percutaneous mechanical assist devices for acute cardiogenic shock
Dr Panoulas gained his medical degree from the School of Medicine at the University of Ioannina in Greece and went on to earn a PhD in the genetic regulation of hypertension in rheumatoid arthritis patients, which he undertook at Russells Hall Hospital in Birmingham and the University of Ioannina.
He received his basic medical training at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital between 2008 and 2010. Following that, he completed his cardiology core training at Hammersmith Hospital, where he became a National Heart and Lung Institute academic clinical fellow. He then completed a year-long interventional cardiology fellowship at the San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Milan, Italy, and earned a master's degree in interventional cardiology from the Universita Vita-Salute San Raffaele.
Dr Panoulas later returned to London and was an interventional fellow at Hammersmith Hospital for two years. During this time, he was also an NIHR clinical lecturer in cardiology at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London. He is currently an honorary senior clinical lecturer there, where he continues his academic work.
- Knowledge-based assessment (KBA) in cardiovascular medicine (from the British Cardiovascular Society)
- Certification in adult transthoracic echocardiography (from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging)
- Computed tomography level two accreditation (from the British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging).
- Royal College of Physicians
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging
- British Cardiovascular Society
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- European Association of Percutaneous Coronary Interventions.