Dr Helen Fidler is a Consultant Gastroenterologist, appointed as a Consultant Gastroenterologist in 1998, overseeing the huge expansion of her gastroenterology department while gaining a wealth of clinical experience from an increasing population catchment area since then.
Dr Fidler qualified with a first class degree from Guys Hospital in 1987, training in London in centres of excellence including University College Hospital and The Royal Free Hospital.
Dr Fidler has maintained her research interests in irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease and especially the effect that the symptoms have on patient’s quality of life. Unusually, she has a particular interest in the anxious patient and has built up a multidisciplinary team to support people who would benefit from a holistic approach to troublesome symptoms. In addition to her interest in clinical gastroenterology she has national roles which reflect the high esteem of her colleagues - both as an elected member of BMA Council and as Deputy Chair of the BMA UK Consultants Committee.
- Investigation of abdominal pain
- Specialist dietician advice
- Cognitive behavioural therapy and psychological support
- Management of the anxious patient
- Luminal gastroenterology
- Irritable and inflammatory bowel disease
- Abdominal pain
- Problems with bowel habit
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Suspected food intolerances
- Dyspepsia and reflux symptoms
- Early diagnosis of cancers
- Abnormal liver blood tests