Stefano Fedele is Professor of Oral Medicine at University College London, Eastman Institute. He is Honorary Consultant in Oral Medicine and Facial Pain at University College London Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals and also sees patients privately at The Harley Street Clinic.
Professor Fedele has a strong interest in clinical and translational research and is Head of Department of Clinical Research at UCL Eastman Dental Institute and Research Lead for Oral and Dental Medicine studies at University College London Hospital. His research work has attracted more than £5M in research funding.
He sits on several national advisory boards for clinical research relevant to Head and Neck cancer and Oral & Dental Medicine.
He has published more then 200 papers (updated December 2020) on international medical journals and is associated Editor/peer reviewer of several medical journals [https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=vqlJdaUAAAAJ].
Professor Fedele's clinical expertise includes the diagnosis ond management of medical conditions relevant to Oral Medicine including:
- Chronic ulcerative disease of the oral mucosa (oral lichen planus, pemphigus, pemphigoid)
- Recurrent oral ulceration
- Oro-facial granulomatosis (OFG)
- Oral Cancer and Precancer
- Oral Dysplasia
- Jaw bone disease (non-neoplastic) including medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (MRONJ) and osteoradionecrosis (ORN)
- Hyposalivation (dry mouth, xerostomia)
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Oral complications of cancer therapy
- Diseases of the salivary glands (non-neoplastic)
- Chronic facial pain (non-dental) including burning mouth syndrome, neuropathic pain and temporomandibular disorder
When he does not look after his patients or his research, Professor Fedele enjoys spending time with his family. He is passionate about cooking and Southern Italian seaside.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Oral Mucosa Biopsy
- Corticosteroid therapy
- Immunosuppressive therapy
Please note I do NOT undertake any surgical procedures involving teeth and/or dental impants.
- Oral Cancer and Pre-Cancer
- Oral Lichen Planus
- Oral Ulceration
- Jawbone Disease
- Dry Mouth (xerostomia)
- Oral Candidosis
- Sjogren's Syndrome
- Chronic Orofacial Pain
- Orofacial granulomatosis
- Lip swelling
- Osteonecrosis of the jawbones
- Complications of radiotherapy and chemotherapy
- Fibrosis of radiotherapy
- Salivary Gland disease
- Burnign Mouth Syndrome
- Oral Dysaesthesia
- Temporomandibular disorder
- Trigeminal neuropathic pain